Integration and networking at hyperscale
STACK INFRASTRUCTURE, PORTLAND
Project state: June, 2015
Completion date: Partnership ongoing
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Goals: Network availability, redundancy, secure remote monitoring
Technologies: SkySpark, Niagara 4, DG Lux
How this data center integration connected mechanical equipment and energy power monitoring plus innovative air rear chilled doors to create a truly redundant and scalable fiber network
In this data hall and central plant - Phase III after award-winning work at the same location - OTI designed and integrated mechanical equipment and energy power monitoring systems plus the tenant's air rear chilled water doors. Work also included expanding the Optigo Connect network put in place in Phases I and II. With 36 DIN-rail and rack-mounted switches distributed in controls cabinets and IT closets, this fiber network is redundant and scalable.
OTI integrated multiple systems with a combination of EasyIO and Global Control 5 (GC5) iSMA controllers plus Belimo Energy Valves, SkySpark, Niagara and DG Lux.
As this is OTI's third project at this location, integration included a roll-up to the existing user interface where building engineers manage, monitor and maintain systems while the tenant can also evaluate equipment status.
- As with all data center projects, this was a mission-critical facility. It was imperative that all systems and networks were designed with strict redundancy and up-time requirements in mind.
- The project was completed under incredibly strict time constraints, particularly at the deployment phase. It required all-hands-on-deck at the highest levels to ensure a successful roll-out from day one.
- The layout of the data hall presented unique design and integration challenges. The chillers were located at level one, pumps on level two and cooling towers on the rooftop.
- Integration to the tenant's unique air rear chilled water doors.
- GC5 controllers were used for hand-off auto relays to give more flexibility for the local engineering team to do manual overrides, providing an additional fail-safe in case of emergency.
- Integrated 503 devices and 19,200 points into a flexible network that can be easily expanded as the tenant moves into an additional data hall.
- Optigo Connect's unique technology saved time and labor by reducing the amount of fiber required by 80%. Additionally, the team achieved quick roll-out of a large, multi-service redundant network using Optigo's OneView management GUI.