Data Engineer - Ottawa, Canada
Our development team is located in Ottawa, Canada and our corporate team is located in Concord, California. The person in this position should be located near Ottawa, Canada and, when the situation is safe and permitted, be comfortable splitting time between the office and remote work.
The ideal candidate for this position has proven experience working with large amounts of equipment/IoT data. This position is responsible for working on millions of data points and billions of rows of time series data collected from applications and solutions in the building automation and controls market. This is commonly referred to as Buildings IoT (Internet of Things). There is an emphasis on creating data repositories, developing optimized high-level dashboards and reports, and building data ETL procedures.
- Develop and implement data analytic strategies.
- Design, develop and maintain cloud-based software solutions throughout their entire lifecycle.
- Work with UX team to design and visualize results for users.
- Interact with our product managers and customers to understand and break down business requirements.
- Ensure strong commitment to product quality and value driven development.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience building software solutions
- Ability to apply analytical techniques to a wide variety of data
- Experience in data extraction, data cleansing, data profiling and manipulation for reporting
- High levels of logical thinking & problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and a strong collaborator
- Passion for learning about new technology
- Demonstrable experience with modern development practices, principles and patterns, including TDD, CI/CD, etc.
- Experience with cloud service providers (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud)
- Strong understanding of database technologies and ETL pipelines
- AWS Offerings: VPC, EC2, ECS, S3, RDS, Lambda, Cloudwatch
- Java, Python
- Document-based Databases (e.g. MongoDB)
- Relational Databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Oracle)
- Dashboard, BI Tools (e.g. PowerBI, Klipfolio)
- Docker and Kubernetes
About Buildings IOT
We’re changing the way the built environment understands, reacts and adapts through technology. Our software increases the longevity of building assets, improves the comfort of building occupants and helps building owners achieve greaterefficiency. We work with contractors, integrators, engineers, owners, operators and all real estate stakeholders to provide new solutions for buildings that include offices, hospitals, data centers, shopping malls, universities and government institutions. Our customers include some of the most prestigious and well-known organizations in the world. For more information on Buildings IOT, visit buildingsiot.com.
Pay and Benefits
Buildings IOT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary depending on qualifications. The overall benefits package includes paid vacation, medical, vision, and dental insurance.